Remodel Me

This is the story of our home remodel, day by day. We expect laughter, tears, and lots and lots of dust. In the end, we hope to have a beautiful, larger updated home for our beautiful growing family.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Sunday, July 02, 2006

In Memory of Jackie

In between the swim meet and hosting the sleepover birthday party at the Embassy Suites, I had the pleasure of attending a Celebration of Life service for a friend who recently passed away. It was such a lovely service for so many reasons. It was quite a reunion of folks from my "old" church, many of whom -- including myself -- have scattered to new churches in the area for a variety of reasons. Jackie herself was a truly amazing woman and we really did celebrate her life through stories, letters (many written by Jackie), personal testimony, prayer, song, and even Sikh chanting.

I had to leave after 2 hours (thus shirking my punch serving duties, alas), but if I'd had the time and nerve to speak, I would have told of the incredible way that Jackie and her husband Marsh made me and my children feel so incredibly welcomed and loved, at church and always. When I first arrived at the church where I met Jackie, my oldest was 2-1/2 and my middle was only a couple of months old. He never slept, I was exhausted and depressed and desperately seeking something (faith, friendship, foundation, ???). I enjoyed the worship services I attended and felt very comfortable; they were traditional in style with plenty of inclusivity, which was a nice combination. The music was terrific.

Coffee hour down in the Fellowship Hall after the service was a daunting experience, however. I'd head down there hoping to meet people and would spend the whole time trying to keep my daughter from spilling her juice (happened pretty much every time) or knocking over some elder wobbling across the place with a hot cup of coffee in hand (didn't happen much). The baby would always want to nurse at the most inopportune moments. One day, I glanced over at a table in the corner and a most amazing sight met my eyes. There was an older couple sitting there, sort of holding court, but they were surrounded by children and they were enjoying it.

They called me over. They welcomed me. They were happy I was there. Instead of suggesting that I get my kids under control or that I was a bad and incompetent mommy because my baby never slept, they told me how beautiful my kids were. They never stopped making me feel loved, welcome, and valuable. They sent notes and cards to me and my kids for holidays and birthdays and other occasions.

There were so many other amazing things that Jackie did, and said, and thought, and shared with me and the rest of us lucky enough to know her. But the thing that will always stand foremost in my memory of her is how incredibly loving and accepting and welcoming she always was of my children and of me. For that I will always be incredibly grateful. I also believe in my heart that what Jackie did is exactly what Jesus would have done. I saw the face of God in Jackie and I am blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home